It’s still fall, which means it’s still Pumpkin Spice season! We wanted to share a really simple, super delicious vegan pumpkin pie recipe that will make you wonder why you didn’t try it earlier!
This recipe is just as delicious with vegan store-bought pie crust (and even easier), but if you’re feeling ambitious and want to try making your own, we’ve got you covered. This is best made the day before to account for cooling and setting time.
DYK: Pumpkin helps fight off colds because it has 20 percent of your daily recommended dose of vitamin C.
Blume’s Vegan Pumpkin Pie
Makes: One 9” pie (10 slices)
Prep time: 1 hour (if making your own crust) *does not include cooling time or set time
Bake time: 1 hour
Here’s what you need:
For the crust:1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
6 Tbsp cold vegan butter (or cold coconut oil)
4-6 Tbsp ice cold water
2 ¾ cups pure pumpkin puree
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ cup brown sugar
⅓ cup unsweetened plain almond milk (or unsweetened plain oat milk)
1 Tbsp melted coconut oil
2 ½ Tbsp cornstarch
1 ¾ tsp Blume Pumpkin Spice blend
¼ tsp sea salt
- For the crust, add flour and salt to a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Slice the cold butter in and work gently with a fork, pastry cutter, or your hands (so long as you work quickly!). Mix to incorporate, don’t overwork it.
- Add the ice cold water a Tbsp at a time, using a wooden spoon to stir. You may not need all the water, just enough to help it come together.
- Once a loose dough is formed, transfer to a piece of plastic wrap and work it gently with your hands to form a ½” thick disc. Wrap firmly and refrigerate for 30 minutes and up to 2 days.
- Once dough is chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add all pie filling ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Set aside.
- To roll out the crust, unwrap and place the disc between two large layers of wax paper. Using a rolling pin, gently roll it into the shape of your pie dish. Be gentle, but don’t worry if it cracks, you can reform it with your hands once it’s in the pan.
- To transfer the crust, remove the top layer of wax paper and gently roll your crust around a rolling pin. Slowly, without overthinking, unroll the crust over the pie dish. Gently form it into the pan with your hands being sure to work the crust up along the sides.
- Pour the pie filling into the crust and bake for 55-65 minutes. You want the crust to be a light golden brown and the filling should be slightly jiggly in the middle when you gently shake the dish. There will be some cracks on top.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely before loosely covering and transferring to the refrigerator to fully set (4-6 hours to overnight).
- Slice and serve with coconut whip or vegan nice cream.
Want more pumpkin in your life? Check out our Vegan Pumpkin Loaf!
Shop Pumpkin Spice Blend
Our PSL is organic, vegan, made with 100% natural ingredients. Spice up your breakfast, boost your immunity and go beyond lattes with this fall favourite.
If you are on the hunt for a gift for your family and friends, look no further. All our blends make for a unique and thoughtful holiday gift for anyone on your list. This year, we are offering a free handwritten gift card and gift wrapping option ($7) to make e-gifting easier!